Sunday 22 January 2012

Playing for change

"It is in the shelter of each other that we live"

I wish I had written that line but I adapted it from the website of a great organisation called Playing for Change.* It is a wonderfully poetic reminder of our mutual interdependence. 


There's little doubt that homelessness is an emotive subject. The thought of losing our home is so fundamental to our sense of security that it is difficult to think about. Maybe it's easier to ignore or lay blame; after all there's nothing like other people's vulnerability to remind us of our own. But No Fixed Abode shows what can be done when people are prepared to tackle a hard issue creatively. It was a brave venture - not without its ups and downs - but it certainly raised the question, looked at solutions, improved co-operation and I am certain helped change the lives of some individuals. There's more to be done, of course, but surely that's surely a pretty good result?


For me, I have one regret and that was not having enough time to write more about the individuals in the production. I never expected to join them on stage. But it was a privilege to work with them. And it's an experience I will be happy to re-live when I start to think about drawing and painting them next week.


*Playing for Change http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtq6OmD-_Y&feature=youtu.be is a multi-media, international movement aimed at breaking down boundaries between people through music.



No comments:

Post a Comment